Thursday, 25 February 2010

Audio responsive video.

I've been playing with making videos that are responsive to audio, here's an initial test:

Foghorn Audio Visual Response Test from Michael Lansdell on Vimeo.


It works okay with mixed down audio, but I should have the opportunity to do this with a piece of music that's broken into layers, which should give a more dynamic look to this technique.

This track is the first thirty seconds of "Foghorn" by Silver Pyre, who I've done live visuals for in the past and am currently working on a music video with (this isn't it!).

Edit.

Woo! Been playing with this some more! I asked another musician friend to give me a track they had made but in layers (I mean all the different sounds, not quite sure what the right term is for this!), so I could get a better visual response to the music. Here is the first result of that:

Rich's Track from Michael Lansdell on Vimeo.



And then a bit more fiddling gave me this:

Rich's Track_3 from Michael Lansdell on Vimeo.



Rich (the musician friend), actually wrote this especially in an evening, I believe he's fiddling with it still so when I get something new off him expect another update!

2 comments:

woody said...

the second two vids look promising here. i got a friend who's doing an MA related to all this will send him a link.

Michael said...

Thank you! I'm sure my couple of evenings work won't really compare to their MA though!